Thursday, January 23, 2014

Permissible But Not Beneficial


I wanted to participate in today's blog hop but after reviewing the options I thought that I didn't have anything to contribute and then I opened my email.  Do you see that picture above?  Isn't it beautiful?  Starbucks is my weakness and I promise you that 10 years ago Starbucks was the beginning of the end for me.  On my way to work each day I passed a Starbucks.  Before too long I became a gold card member.  Every day I would order a Grande Toffee Nut Latte and some days I'd even order the Toffee Nut Brownie to go along with it.  Not many days passed and I found myself 50 pounds heavier than I was when I moved to Knoxville.  Fast forward to today.  You see I now know how to go into Starbucks and order a drink that is good and not bad too bad for me; a non-fat sugar free vanilla latte.  It also is about 1000 calories less than a Toffee Nut Latte.

As soon as I opened this email I started thinking about how I could possibly swing by a Starbucks today.  It says it is handcrafted just for me!  It's like that little cup is taunting me.  How does Starbucks know that I am trying to purge my life of things that are not beneficial for me?  You may ask does Starbucks really hold you captive?  I will answer at times YES!  I see a commercial or receive emails such as this and I immediately feel like I need that latte.  So, I ask myself these questions.  Do I really need it?  Is it beneficial for me?  Is it really worth the calories that I'll consume from just a drink.  I could eat an entire meal for the calories that small cup holds.
"All things are lawful for me...but all things edify not." 1 Corinthians 10:23 KJV
This is the verse that we are studying in our Made to Crave online bible study this week.  In the book she says she would quote this verse over and over to herself to remind her that although she could have those brownies or chips that they wouldn't benefit her in any way.  Today I choose to be #empowered in making a choice that is beneficial for me and not just permissible.  I will not feel deprived of an unhealthy choice!  I will enjoy my one cup of coffee this morning and then water the rest of the day.  Today Starbucks will not control my decisions!  I am trying now to ask myself this question before eating or drinking anything; Is it beneficial for me?

~Blessings
Krista

3 comments:

kathyleblanc78@gmail.com said...

this was so good. I agree, there are so many things in our life trying to get a grip on our self-control. thanks.

Sonya said...

Great post!!!

As I was reading I just wanted to shout YES!!!!!! Starbucks can hold you captive...just like the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies have been doing to me the last two weeks! But not any more. Thank you Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Great post! Love when you state "Today I choose to be empowered in making a choice that is beneficial for me and not just permissible." This is exactly what I need to do! I am intentionally going to choose NOT to empower my cravings for the brownies and cookies in my kitchen.